The Cornell Chimes
Donated to the Library by Jennie McGraw, the original nine bells of the Cornell Chimes rang for the first time on October 7, 1868, celebrating the formal opening of the University. The bells were made by Meneely & Co. at Watervliet near Troy, N.Y., and were inscribed with verses selected from the One Hundred Sixth Chant from Alfred Lord Tennysons In Memoriam. Although the Chimes were housed in a temporary wooden structure for the universitys opening ceremonies, they later were placed in the tower of McGraw Hall. Finally, with the completion of the Library and Tower in 1891, the bells and clock found their permanent home.
Alfred Lord Tennyson. Letter to Jennie McGraw, ca. 1868.