Budget and Tax Information for Research Grant Applicants
Allowable budget expenditures include but may not be limited to the following:
- Travel expenditures to Ithaca, New York from residence (based on airfare rates at time of application, if not within driving distance). Information on travel options to Ithaca is available at: http://www.cornell.edu/visiting/ithaca/visiting.cfm
- Driving distance is considered to be within 500 miles of Ithaca
- Mileage - $0.50 per mile
- Lodging expenditures in Ithaca during research visit (maximum of $117 per night - based on Federal rates)
- Food - $46.00 per diem (based on Federal rates)
- Reproduction expenditures
(Price list can be found at http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/find/repro_pricelist.html.)
(Although reproduction services are available for a fee, some materials may be photographed using a personal digital camera.)
- Miscellaneous expenditures (include details)
Un-allowable budget expenditures include but may not be limited to the following:
- Travel, lodging, or food expenditures for any person other than researcher
- Salary or benefits supplement for time spent in Ithaca during research visit
- Car rental in Ithaca
- Indirect costs
The budget and description of budget items should accompany the grant.
- US Citizens: will receive a lump sum of the amount granted when they contact the Administrative Manager no more than 60 days in advance of their scheduled research visit. The Administrative Manager will handle the request to the financial office to have a check cut and sent to the researcher's home address. All researchers must complete a W-9 Form (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification) which can be found on the IRS website at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf?portlet=3.
- Foreign Nationals: In order to treat a payment as a reimbursed business expense for tax purposes, the visitor should be employed in a professional capacity in his/her home country (i.e. not a student) and Cornell should qualify as a "temporary" work location for the visitor. Three months or less is considered temporary. If the visit exceeds three months, contact the Tax Compliance Office at http://www.dfa.cornell.edu/dfa/tax/resources/contacts.cfm.
Payments to foreign nationals are complicated due to immigration and tax laws. Information regarding foreign national payments can be found at http://www.dfa.cornell.edu/dfa/tax/foreign.
The RMC Administrative Manager will prepare an expense voucher that includes receipts, business purpose and length of stay at Cornell (beginning date and end date). Original receipts MUST be attached to the voucher. If per Diem rates are used, the following apply:
- Rates must not exceed IRS rates which are available at: http://www.gsa.gov.
- Voucher must include a statement that Cornell is not otherwise paying for or providing meals and lodging.
**Reimbursed business expenses are not taxable or reportable.
Nolen Fund Grant - Director - Elaine Engst (607) 255-3530 firstname.lastname@example.org
Zwickler Fund Grant - Director - Brenda Marston (607) 255-3530 email@example.com
Administrative Manager - Donna Moore (607) 255-3530 firstname.lastname@example.org