Beefcake in the Cornell Library
You can find examples of 1950s and 60s "beefcake," or male physique photography, in Cornell University Library's Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, home to the Human Sexuality Collection. The Human Sexuality Collection has a large collection of the magazines that were the precursors to modern gay erotica, but which were presented as tools for art students interested in drawing the male form. Some of the magazines ran explicit editorials decrying censorship rules of the day.
To find these magazines:
- Search the online catalog for these subject headings:
- Photography of bodybuilders--Periodicals.
- Photography of men--Periodicals.
- Gay men--Pictorial works--Periodicals.
- View the Human Sexuality Collection website.
After you click on "Periodicals," you can either browse the list of U.S. periodicals or search on the key word "physique."
- Visit the Human Sexuality Collection and let a reference staff person help you find the titles you want to see. Rare and Manuscript Collections, on level 2B of Carl A. Kroch Library, is open M-F, 9 - 5, and during the academic year , Sat., 1-5.
Physique Magazines in the Cornell Library
Art and Form
Big Boys, The
Demi Gods (NY)
Demi Gods (NJ)
Era (published by QQ--Queen's Quarterly)
Fizeek Art Quarterly
Grecian Guild Pictorial
Grecian Guild Studio Quarterly
Hans (the Boys of Northern Europe)
International Nudist Sun
Male Pix Beefcake
Strength and Health
Time Square Faces
Time Square Stud
Times Square Studio
Trim "Young America's Favorite Physique Publication"
Trim Studio Quarterly