Guide to the First Baptist Church Of Corning Records,
1842-1896.

Collection Number: 6078

Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections
Cornell University Library

Contact Information:
Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections
2B Carl A. Kroch Library
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853
(607) 255-3530
Fax: (607) 255-9524
rareref@cornell.edu
http://rmc.library.cornell.edu
Compiled by:
S.L.
Date completed:
Aug. 1979
EAD encoding:
Andrea Hektor, Aug. 2004

© 2003 Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library


DESCRIPTIVE SUMMARY

Title:
First Baptist Church of Corning records, 1842-1896.
Collection Number:
6078
Creator:
First Baptist Church of Corning (Corning, N.Y.)
Quantity:
1 reel microfilm.
Forms of Material:
Microfilm.
Repository:
Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
Abstract:
Church covenant, articles of faith, minutes of the council called upon to constitute the church, covenant, and annual meeting minutes (1842-1896) and membership lists.
Language:
Collection material in English


ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORY

On February 13, 1842 residents of Corning and vicinity who belonged to the Baptist Church of Campbell and Erwin requested that they be given leave to form themselves as a separate church. The request was granted and on August 24, 1842 a council was convened and the church was organized with 24 members. For the first few years the congregation met in the Episcopal Church, in the members' homes, in a hall rented for 50 cents a meeting, or in the Methodist chapel. A house of worship, begun in 1849, was dedicated on May 8, 1850. There is a gap in the records from May 4, 1861 until January 2, 1864, indicating perhaps the effects the war had on those at home. By 1870 the church had 147 members. In 1879 the church incorporated, and in 1882 plans were begun for a new church which was dedicated on October 21, 1886.
In 1896 the first letters were granted to several members to aid in establishing the North Baptist Church (formally organized in 1902).
In November 1892 the envelope system began to supplement pew rentals, which were gradually phased out.
The church was a member of the Chemung River Baptist Association until 1916. See the accession folder for additional details.

COLLECTION DESCRIPTION

This record book was rendered partially illegible by flooding caused by hurricane Agnes in June 1972, however, it was microfilmed anyway as a hedge against further deterioration.
The volume contains covenant meeting minutes (September 1842 - June 1896), the church Covenant and Articles of Faith, minutes of the council called upon to constitute the church (August 24, 1842) and membership lists which contain names and dismissal and admittance information.

SUBJECTS

Names:
First Baptist Church of Corning (Corning, N.Y.)
Baptist Church of Campbell (Campbell, N.Y.)
Baptist Church of Erwin (Erwin, N.Y.)

Subjects:
Baptists--New York (State)--Corning.
Church records and registers--New York (State)--Corning.
Baptist church buildings.

Places:
Steuben County (N.Y.)--Religious life and customs.
Corning (N.Y.)--Religious life and customs.

Form and Genre Terms:
Minutes.


INFORMATION FOR USERS

Cite As:
First Baptist Church of Corning records, #6078. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.

CONTAINER LIST

Description
Container
Record Book, 1842-1896
Item I
Note: Covenant meeting minutes are not described in detail since they were difficult to read.
The volume opens with 16 pages of membership records which include names, date and how admitted and dismissed (1842-1873). A similar list is found after the August 20, 1865 minutes (August 1, 1872-1895).
This is followed by a clipping from the "Corning Daily Journal," December 31, 1898 announcing that the church had paid all debts on its new building.
Minutes of the Council called upon to form the church (August 24, 1842) the Church Covenant, and Articles of Faith precede monthly covenant and annual election meeting minutes (September 1842 - June 1896). There are no minutes for May 1861 - January 1865. The pages containing May-August 1850 were filmed out of order.