Waterloo Missionary Society Proceedings,1817-1824.

Collection Number: 6051

Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections
Cornell University Library


DESCRIPTIVE SUMMARY

Title:
Waterloo Missionary Society proceedings, 1817-1824.
Collection Number:
6051
Creator:
Waterloo Missionary Society (Waterloo, N.Y.)
Quantity:
1 reel microfilm.
Forms of Material:
Microfilm.
Repository:
Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
Abstract:
Constitution, annual and quarterly meeting minutes and a membership list of the Society. Also in this volume are accounts from St. Paul's Episcopal Church of Waterloo.
Language:
Collection material in English


ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORY

The Waterloo Missionary Society was founded in 1817 by individuals who were for the most part members of the Presbyterian and Episcopal churches. See the History of Seneca County for biographical information about most of the members. One member, Isaac Rosa "came with the first settlers as master mechanic, and built the Waterloo flour and grist mill for Reuben Swift and Co/ He was also the first master of the masonic lodge the same year the missionary society was founded.

COLLECTION DESCRIPTION

The front of the volume contains a constitution, annual and quarterly meeting minutes (1817-1824) and a membership list. At the rear of the volume are accounts from St. Paul's Episcopal Church of Waterloo listing tithes, monthly offerings and the salary fund.
SUBJECTS

Names:
Waterloo Missionary Society (Waterloo, N.Y.)
St. Paul's Episcopal Church of Waterloo (Waterloo, N.Y.)

Subjects:
Missions--Societies, etc.
Episcopal Church--New York (State)--Waterloo.

Places:
Seneca County (N.Y.)--Religious life and customs.
Waterloo (N.Y.)--Religious life and customs.

Form and Genre Terms:
Minutes.
Accounts.


INFORMATION FOR USERS

Cite As:
Waterloo Missionary Society proceedings, #6051. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.

CONTAINER LIST

Container
Description
Record Book
The volume begins with a constitution suggested by the General Society and adopted by the Waterloo group containing by-laws and articles. It is followed by a list of members. The minutes (October 27, 1817- ) describe the formation of the organization, the election of officers, the appointment of speakers, reception of new members, and the collection of dues.
Accounts at the rear of the volume are from St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Waterloo, (1837-1843) and show monthly offerings, tithes and the salary fund. Page 23 in the rear contains an account of finding the volume, probably written by Mary Knox Gage (Mrs. Frank) who donated the volume to the Waterloo Historical Society in 1875.