First Methodist Episcopal Church Of Varick Records,1856-1889.

Collection Number: 6043

Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections
Cornell University Library


DESCRIPTIVE SUMMARY

Title:
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Varick records, 1856-1889.
Collection Number:
6043
Creator:
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Varick (Varick, N.Y.)
Quantity:
1 reel microfilm.
Forms of Material:
Microfilm
Repository:
Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
Abstract:
Trustee book (1856-1889) which includes the election of trustees, board president and clerk, the hiring of the church sexton, and notes on church finance and maintenance.
Language:
Collection material in English


ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORY

Little is known about the early history of the church because the records have apparently been lost. The church was formed in 1810 with meetings in a schoolhouse on the shore of Cayuga Lake. A church was built in 1832, repaired and enlarged in 1857 and again in the l870's.

COLLECTION DESCRIPTION

The single trustee record in this collection (1856-1889) consists mostly of annual meeting minutes covering election of trustees (who were also class leaders), church officers and limited notes on church finances and maintenance. Minutes of special meetings on church organization and offices are also included.
SUBJECTS

Names:
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Varick (Varick, N.Y.)

Subjects:
Methodist Episcopal Church--New York (State)--Varick.
Methodist church buildings.

Places:
Varick (N.Y.)--Religious life and customs.
Seneca County (N.Y.)--Religious life and customs.

Form and Genre Terms:
Minutes.


INFORMATION FOR USERS

Cite As:
First Methodist Episcopal Church of Varick records, #6043. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.

CONTAINER LIST

Container
Description
Item 1
"Trustee Book of the first M.E. Church Varick A. Doremus, Clerk 1864", Chronological (imperfect), unpaginated. (January 16, 1856 - January 19, 1889)
This volume opens with an unidentified "meeting in Council No. 11211" on January 27, 1857, initiating Samuel Harris "in the first degree" and lists 25 male members "in good standing."
The minutes of annual trustees' meetings include the election of trustees, board president and clerk, the hiring of a church sexton, and limited notes of finances and church maintenance. Minutes in this order cover the years 1858-62, 1864, 1866-68, 1888-89, 1873-76, 1879-83. After the annual meeting minutes for 1889 are the minutes of a "Special Trustee Meeting" (October 30, 1872) and after the 1874 annual meeting are minutes of an "Official meeting" of October 29, 1874. Following the 1876 annual meeting are minutes of a meeting reorganizing the church on May 3, 1877.