First Presbyterian Church Of East Palmyra Records,1817-1900.

Collection Number: 6022

Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections
Cornell University Library


DESCRIPTIVE SUMMARY

Title:
First Presbyterian Church of East Palmyra records, 1817-1900.
Collection Number:
6022
Creator:
First Presbyterian Church of East Palmyra (East Palmyra, N.Y.)
Quantity:
1 reel microfilm.
Forms of Material:
Microfilm
Repository:
Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library
Abstract:
Two volumes (1817-34 and 1834-1900) containing session minutes and some membership information. Revivals, temperance, and church discipline are issues.
Language:
Collection material in English


ORGANIZATIONAL HISTORY

In 1783 the church began to meet in the school house and was the first church to be constituted vest of the pre-emption line. It began as a Congregational church and in 1807 it became Presbyterian and joined the Geneva Presbytery. A new meeting house was raised. In 1842 that building was torn down and the materials were used in the construction of a new building. See the accessions folder for a more detailed history and p. 147, History of Wayne County.

COLLECTION DESCRIPTION

This collection consists of two volumes: 1817-34 and 1834-1900. The records prior to 1817 were lost. These volumes consist of session minutes and some membership information, however, there may have been a register, since there are no marriage records.
SUBJECTS

Names:
First Presbyterian Church of East Palmyra (East Palmyra, N.Y.)

Subjects:
Presbyterian Church--New York (State)--East Palmyra.
Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.--History--Revolution, 1775-1783.
Presbyterian Church--Membership.
Revivals--New York (State)--East Palmyra.
Church discipline.
Temperance and religion--New York (State)--East Palmyra.
Presbyterian church buildings.
Congregational churches--New York (State)--East Palmyra.

Places:
Wayne County (N.Y.)--Religious life and customs.
East Palmyra (N.Y.)--Religious life and customs.

Form and Genre Terms:
Minutes.


INFORMATION FOR USERS

Cite As:
First Presbyterian Church of East Palmyra records, #6022. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections, Cornell University Library.

CONTAINER LIST

Container
Description
Item 1
"Records of the Church of East Palmyra", 1817-1834 . no pagination, chronological arrangement.
Contents: Session minutes which record attendance, the election of deacons and elders, the examination of members prior to admission; church discipline on cases including intoxication, lying, swearing, quarreling, failure to attend worship services, working on the sabbath, not honoring the marriage vow, contention, running a bad house, and dancing. Minutes were read and approved by the Presbytery at regular intervals. Following the minutes is a copy of the Church Covenant and the Articles of Faith and a list of church members with dates of dismission or death. In 1817 the eastern part of the church split to form a separate church.
Item 2
"Record of the Church of East Palmyra", 1834-1900 . irregular pagination, chronological arrangement of the minutes.
Contents: Session records, 1834-1900, contain material similar to that in the first volume. In 1834 there was a revival (pp. 2-21), and on Dec. 3, 1834 (p. 4) the church voted a commitment to temperance. On Feb. 1, 1847 (p. 40) there is a report to the Presbytery. Following the minutes are statistical reports to the Presbytery, 1857-60, "additions," 1898-99; dismissals, 1898-99; baptisms, 1898-99; deaths, 1898-99; and a list of contributions to Benevolent enterprises by the church, 1855-98. In the back of the volume is a list of names of members of the church containing name, death date, date of admission after 1838, and date of dismission or expulsion and a list of baptized children and their parents; and a copy of the Confession of Faith.