© 2002 Kheel Center for Labor-Management Documentation and Archives, Cornell University Library
Columbia Conserve Company. Employee Council minutes, 1932-1933.
Columbia Conserve Company. Employee Council.
0.5 linear ft.
Forms of Material:
Kheel Center for Labor-Management Documentation and Archives, Cornell University Library
Records consist chiefly of the minutes (1932-1933) of the Employee Council of the Columbia Conserve Co. of Indianapolis, Ind.
Collection material in English
The Columbia Conserve Company, canners of soups and catsups, was owned and managed since 1902 by members of the Hapgood family.
Mr. William P. Hapgood, president of the Columbia Conserve Company believed that industrial democracy meant "government of
the workers, by the workers, for the workers." In 1917 Mr. Hapgood started his plan, by giving the workers the right to make
rules governing their hours, incomes, hiring and firing and to decide upon all policies of the company.
Various measures adopted by the plant reflect the improvement of the workers. The 55 hour week was reduced to 50 in 1917
and 45 in 1924 when a five day week and a 9 hour day were reestablished.
The maximum salary was set at $5,000. per year. Minimum salaries were established were $22 per week for unmarried and $33
per week for married men, with an additional $2 for each child, married women, where husbands were also employed received
$19 per week in 1931.
Dividends were paid to employees at the same rate as on capital stock based on the payroll until 1925 when an agreement was
reached for the employees to purchase common stock with their share of the profits.