Plate 15
The Moore House. Yorktown.
Plate 56
Headquarters of the New York Herald in the Field, Army of the Republic.
Plate 99
McLean's House. Where the capitulation was signed between Generals Grant and Lee.
Plate 100
Dedication of the Monuments on Bull Run Battle-Field.

Plate 100
Dedication of Monuments on Bull Run Battle-Field.
June, 1865
Photographed by W. Morris Smith

Here is shown one of the Monuments erected in memory of the Union dead who fell at the battles of Bull Run and Groveton. The Monuments are of chocolate colored sandstone, twenty-seven feet high, and were erected by the officers and men of General Gamble's separate cavalry brigade, camped at Fairfax Court-House. The Monument on the first Bull Run field is situated on the hill in front of the memorable stone house, on the spot where the 14th Brooklyn, 1st Michigan, and 1st and 2d Maine were most hotly engaged, and where Ricketts and Griffin lost their batteries. The shaft is twenty-seven feet high, and bear upon its top a hundred pound shell. On the pedestal at each corner is a shell of similar size. On one side of the shaft is inscribed, “To the memory of the patriots who fell at Bull Run, July 1st, 1861,” and on the reverse, “Erected June 10th, 1865.” The Monument at Groveton is similar in its proportions, bearing the inscription, “To the memory of the patriots who fell at Groveton, August 29, 1862, and on the reverse also, “Erected June 10th, 1865.”

The dedicatory exercises were conducted on the first Bull Run field, by Rev. Dr. McMurdy, who read an appropriate service, which was followed by a hymn written for the occasion by Pierpont, a military parade by the 5th Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, Colonel Gallup, and a salute by the 16th Massachusetts Battery, Captain Scott. At the close of these ceremonies, eloquent addresses were delivered by Judge Olin, General Wilcox, General Heintzelman, and General Farnsworth. At the second Monument the services were similar to those described.

Caption taken from original text, Plate 100, Vol. II,
Gardner's Photographic Sketch Book of the War

(Washington: Philp & Solomons, 1865-66)


click to view full image
Dedication of Monuments on Bull Run Battle-Field. June, 1865 Photographed by W. Morris Smith

Cornell University

Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections

Copyright 2002 Division of Rare & Manuscript Collections
2B Carl A. Kroch Library, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, 14853
Phone Number: (607) 255-3530. Fax Number: (607) 255-9524

For reference questions, send mail to: rareref@cornell.edu
If you have questions or comments about the site, send mail to: webmaster.